Flatulence and Gas
What is a flatulence ?
Flatulence is caused by gas in the bowel. The gas in our intestines comes from several sources like: air we swallow, gas seeping into our intestines from our blood.The intestines produce 500 to2,000 mls of gas, which is passed out of the anus at regular intervals. The gas consists of a number of gases including methane, nitrogen and carbon dioxide. The varying smell depends on the ratio of gases, which is influenced by the foods we eat.
What are the symptoms of the flatulence ?
The most common symptoms of gas are
2) Abdominal bloating- Too much gas causes abdominal bloating. If you have complained of bloating from gas often have normal distribution of gas.Disorders may give a sensation of bloating because of increased sensitivity to gas.
3) Abdominal pain-You may feel pain when gas is present in the intestine. When pain is on the left side of the colon, it may confuse with heart disease. When the pain is on the right side of the colon, it may appendicitis.
4) Belching-belch during or after meals is normal.It releases gas, when your stomach is full of food.Gas-bloat syndrome may occur after fundoplication surgery to correct GERD.
What are the causes of the flatulence ?
Flatulence also known as farting.Flatulence is the act of passing intestinal gas from the anus. Gas in the gastrointestinal tract has two sources. It is either swallowed air or it is produced by bacteria that normally inhabit the intestines. Swallowed air is rarely the cause of excessive flatulence.Some of the most common causes of the flatulence are:
What are the treatments of the flatulence ?
Some of the treatments are:
1) You may never sleep immediately after taking meals.
2) You may take a long walk after taking dinner.
3) You may avoid taking anything at bed-time.
4) Herbs and spices may improve digestion, stimulate appetite and preserve foods.
© 2005-09 Ayurvedic-Medicines.org. All rights reserved.